The GVK-led Navi Mumbai International Airport (NMIAL) has appointed globally renowned firm Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA) to design the Navi Mumbai International Airport's Terminal 1 and ATC tower. The London-based ZHA was selected upon the completion of a challenging and intensive 12-week, fast-track design competition among the best international architecture firms shortlisted by GVK. This will be ZHA's first major project in the Indian subcontinent.
ZHA is known for its dynamic, innovative and iconic architecture with a portfolio of over 950 projects spread across 44 nations. The firm has designed Beijing's new 700,000-sq-m Daxing Airport terminal, which is currently under construction. Other landmark projects include the Olympic Aquatics Centre in London, the Heydar Aliyev Center in Baku, Azerbaijan, the Al Wakrah Stadium for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, and many more.
'Our vision is to establish one more landmark airport that would exceed the benchmarks set by GVK while creating Terminal 2 at Mumbai Airport,' said Dr GVK Reddy, Founder and Chairman, GVK, and Chairman, Navi Mumbai International Airport, 'We are committed to bringing the best global practices from the industry to design, engineer and build this most awaited airport project in India. Hence, we decided to go with ZHA, a firm known for its path-breaking and remarkable architecture.
It also has the expertise of delivering a world-class airport design through a highly professional team.'
Navi Mumbai International Airport is a PPP venture in which the GVK-led Mumbai International Airport (MIAL) has a 74 per cent stake, with CIDCO, the nodal agency of the Maharashtra Government, holding the remaining 26 per cent.