In Assam and Arunachal Pradesh, Balipara-Charduar-Tawang (BCT) road, with a total length 317.52 km, is under improvement to National Highway Double Lane (NHDL) specifications. Out of this 116.89 Km length has been improved so far. Work is in progress in 84.63 km length and work is yet to start in 116 Km of length. Rs. 69.51 Crores has been allotted for current financial year. Total financial outlay is assessed as Rs.611.59 Crore. Expenditure incurred so far is Rs.420.70 Crore and physical progress is 56.94 per cent.
Union Defence Minister AK Antony said this in the Rajya Sabha and added that the probable date of completion of the road to NHDL specifications is March 2016. Following steps have been taken to expedite completion of works:
• Works have been commenced simultaneously in 22 stretches.
• Additional units (2 Task Force and 3 Road Construction Companies) have been inducted.
• Additional heavy mechanical plants and equipment like 20 tonnes per hour
capacity stone crushers, 30/20 tonne Hydraulic Excavators have been inducted.
• Works on formation and surfacing have been outsourced in certain stretches.
• Pending forest and wildlife clearances are being monitored closely and an officer is specially detailed for this purpose.
• Close monitoring of works is being done at all levels.
Balipara-Rangapara-Missamari road has been included under Perspective Plan of Army for development to NHDL specification.