What is Atal Tunnel?
At 9.02 km length, the tunnel will be one of the longest road tunnels in India. September 2020
The Rs 22.66-billion project is expected to minimise the massive use of diesel generating sets during winter. The transmission line is approximately 335 km-long and is built at a height of around 3,000-4,000 m. The line reportedly is snow covered for nearly six months, with a minimum temperature of -40o C at Drass. With Snow & Avalanche Study Establishment’s (SASE) assistance, special tower foundations were constructed.
Also, the four new state-of-the-art 220/66 kV gas insulated sub-stations built at Drass, Kargil, Khaltsi and Leh will help to ensure 24 x 7 quality power in all weather conditions. 95 per cent of the funding has been provided by the Government of India, while the remaining 5 per cent has been provided by the Jammu and Kashmir Government.
The project is aimed to supply quality of power supply and improve reliability to Ladakh region during harsh winters and evacuation of surplus power of Kargil and Leh Hydel stations of NHPC in summers. Thus boosting hospitality industry in the region.
Modi has laid the foundation stone of the project in 2014 and the project was completed by the Power Grid Corporation of India (POWERGRID), a Navratna company of the Government of India, under Ministry of Power, in four and half years.