Ramco Cements’ Govindapuram and Alathiyur units in Ariyalur district and its RR Nagar unit at Virudhunagar district have been awarded the Greentech Environment Award 2019.
The Greentech Environment Award, presented by New Delhi-based Greentech Foundation, is presented to organisations and units demonstrating the highest level of commitment to environment management. The panel of judges considered nominations that provide evidence of outstanding environment management and practices that impact the organisation and community positively. This year, the Ramco Cements’ three units, viz, Govindapuram unit, Alathiyur unit and RR Nagar unit have been declared as winners for this award. The award ceremony was conducted in July, in New Delhi.
The various parameters judged by the panel were as:
- Compliance to MoEF and TNPCB air and water consent conditions.
- Production technology applied for cleaner production to achieve the latest norms.
- Reduction in pollutants concentration during award year and previous two years.
- Waste management programme: Bio-gas is generated from kitchen waste collected from the colony, canteen and guest house, and being used at canteen; the plants are with zero liquid discharge. The sewage generated from the plant and colony is treated in the STP and used for green belt development. The effluent water generated from thermal power plant is utilised in the cement plant for equipment cooling and ash generated from the thermal
- power plant is being fully utilised in the cement plant for PPC manufacturing process.
- Cement bagging to loading area to reduce air pollution.
Various measures taken are:
Bag cleaning device installed at packer outlet to clean all sides of the bags; de-dusting bag filters at all transfer points; spillage hoppers for product recycling system; an auto truck loading device has been installed; dedicated 3D road sweeping machine.
- Environmental audits – both internal and external audits. Various measures have been taken in the internal and external audit points to improve the environment standards.
- Environmental training and awareness created within and outside premises: Conducted climate change programme in association with NABARD for villagers and school children; organised native tree festival by displaying 100 native tree
- species with their usage and benefits. Nearly 3,000 school children participated; water awareness training conducted to 1,500 school children.
- Plantation carried out during the last three years. Miyawaki (Japanese) afforestation methodology adopted in green
- belt development.
- The company has banned onetime time use and throwaway plastics effectively in its plant and colony premises and has conducted awareness training programme for employees and school children.
- Installation of solar panels at the plant.
- Water conservation through huge rainwater harvesting structures.
The units have been certified with ISO certifications from BIS as below:
- IS/ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management System
- IS/ISO 14001:2015 - Environment Management System
- IS 18001:2007 - Occupational Health & Safety ManagementSystem
- IS/ISO 50001:2011 - Energy Management System
- The units have implemented 5 S-Workplace Management System from QCFI jointly with the Union of Japanese Scientists and Engineers (JUSE).
- All the units won EHS 4-star rating from CII-Southern Region Excellence award.
- Many CSR initiatives have been taken by the units like Rural development projects; construction of bore well with overhead tank facility; widening, strengthening and cleaning of six lakes, among others.