Allahabad HC stays Noida authority's construction ban on Satya Homes
Real Estate

Allahabad HC stays Noida authority's construction ban on Satya Homes

The Allahabad high court has stayed an order by Noida Authority denying permission to Satya Homes Pvt Ltd and others to carry out construction on land they purchased in Sector 161. The court said the Authority must provide solid and legally sound reasons to reject building permits.

The petitioners had purchased 9,571sqm in 2015 and sought permission from the Authority two years later to build a guesthouse and club house in Gulawali village.

The Authority rejected the application the very next day, saying the land they had bought was part of a notified area that would eventually be acquired for institutional development of Sector 161.Satya Homes challenged the Authority's decision at the high court, which asked the Authority to set aside the initial denial and initiate fresh proceedings. The Authority, however, rejected another application by Satya Homes a few months later, prompting the company to file a writ petition in April 2019.

The court combined this petition with another filed by Kiran Devi and others, who faced similar rejections.

Kiran Devi's case revolved around a piece of land that was earlier used for residential purposes and was declared non-agricultural under the UP Zamindari Abolition and Land Reforms Act. She purchased the land in March 2015 through registered sale deeds to build a house. There were 64 families who purchased land in the same area, but failed to secure permission from the Authority to initiate construction.

The petitioners argued that the Authority's stand that the land was notified for institutional development did not hold as it had taken no step to acquire the plots so far. They sought an order to the Authority to allow constructions as they had legally purchased the land.v The Authority's counsel submitted in court that the land was not part of abadi and that the petitioners had violated Building Regulations, 2010, by initiating constructions without taking permission. It also said that a proposal to acquire the land in the area was submitted to the additional district magistrate (land acquisition) way back in Oct 2012.

The counsel also informed the court that the Authority had already acquired a part of the land and was in the process of taking possession of the remaining part. The Authority also alleged that the petitioners were engaged in the fragmentation of the land, selling small plots that violated the planning objectives for institutional development.

On Oct 4 this year, the court observed that though the Authority had regulatory powers to oversee construction in its jurisdiction, it could not use them to impose blanket restrictions without a valid reason.

Setting aside the Authority's denial of permission, the bench of Justices Mahesh Chandra Tripathi and Vikas Budhwar asked it to reconsider the petitioners' application following proper procedure and legal guidelines. The court asked the Authority to conduct a fresh site inspection of the land in Nov and present a copy of the report to the petitioners by Nov 14. The petitioners and affected parties will have 10 days to submit their objections."The matter stands remitted back to the chief executive officer, Noida Authority, to pass a fresh order in accordance with law," the order read.

The next hearing is scheduled to take place in the second week of Dec.

The Allahabad high court has stayed an order by Noida Authority denying permission to Satya Homes Pvt Ltd and others to carry out construction on land they purchased in Sector 161. The court said the Authority must provide solid and legally sound reasons to reject building permits. The petitioners had purchased 9,571sqm in 2015 and sought permission from the Authority two years later to build a guesthouse and club house in Gulawali village. The Authority rejected the application the very next day, saying the land they had bought was part of a notified area that would eventually be acquired for institutional development of Sector 161.Satya Homes challenged the Authority's decision at the high court, which asked the Authority to set aside the initial denial and initiate fresh proceedings. The Authority, however, rejected another application by Satya Homes a few months later, prompting the company to file a writ petition in April 2019. The court combined this petition with another filed by Kiran Devi and others, who faced similar rejections. Kiran Devi's case revolved around a piece of land that was earlier used for residential purposes and was declared non-agricultural under the UP Zamindari Abolition and Land Reforms Act. She purchased the land in March 2015 through registered sale deeds to build a house. There were 64 families who purchased land in the same area, but failed to secure permission from the Authority to initiate construction. The petitioners argued that the Authority's stand that the land was notified for institutional development did not hold as it had taken no step to acquire the plots so far. They sought an order to the Authority to allow constructions as they had legally purchased the land.v The Authority's counsel submitted in court that the land was not part of abadi and that the petitioners had violated Building Regulations, 2010, by initiating constructions without taking permission. It also said that a proposal to acquire the land in the area was submitted to the additional district magistrate (land acquisition) way back in Oct 2012. The counsel also informed the court that the Authority had already acquired a part of the land and was in the process of taking possession of the remaining part. The Authority also alleged that the petitioners were engaged in the fragmentation of the land, selling small plots that violated the planning objectives for institutional development. On Oct 4 this year, the court observed that though the Authority had regulatory powers to oversee construction in its jurisdiction, it could not use them to impose blanket restrictions without a valid reason. Setting aside the Authority's denial of permission, the bench of Justices Mahesh Chandra Tripathi and Vikas Budhwar asked it to reconsider the petitioners' application following proper procedure and legal guidelines. The court asked the Authority to conduct a fresh site inspection of the land in Nov and present a copy of the report to the petitioners by Nov 14. The petitioners and affected parties will have 10 days to submit their objections.The matter stands remitted back to the chief executive officer, Noida Authority, to pass a fresh order in accordance with law, the order read. The next hearing is scheduled to take place in the second week of Dec.

Related Stories

Gold Stories

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

Innovision Wins NHAI Toll Collection Contract at Aashpur Fee Plaza

Innovision Limited has informed stock exchanges that it has been awarded a user fee collection and facility maintenance contract by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI). The letter of award was issued on 10 August 2026 for operations at Aashpur Fee Plaza at design kilometre 231.100 on National Highway number 91 between Aligarh and Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh. The engagement covers collection of user fees for four and more lane sections and the upkeep and maintenance of adjacent toilet blocks including replenishment of consumable items. The contract was secured through a competitive e-te..

Next Story
Infrastructure Urban

Bharat Electronics Secures Rs.5,410 mn In Orders

Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), a Navratna Defence Public Sector Undertaking, has secured additional orders worth Rs.5,410 million (mn) since the last disclosure on 31 July 2026. The fresh awards raise the company's recently reported intake and were announced by way of a regulatory filing on 10 August 2026. The orders span multiple business verticals and are incremental to contracts already under execution. The update follows the company's routine disclosure obligations to the stock exchanges. Major orders received include communication equipment, electro optics, ammunition fuzes, Chemical B..

Next Story
Infrastructure Urban

United Drilling Tools Receives US Order For Gas Lift Mandrel

United Drilling Tools Limited said it has received an order from Tri Lift Services Inc of the United States for the supply of a gas lift mandrel to be used in the oil and gas industry. The company said the disclosure was made to listing authorities under the Securities and Exchange Board of India listing rules and the SEBI master circular of November 2024. The notice set out the nature of the contract as commercial and awarded by an international entity. The order is to be executed in the ordinary course of business and carries an estimated contract value of Rs four point eight three million (..

Advertisement

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get daily newsletters around different themes from Construction world.

STAY CONNECTED

Advertisement