08 Sep 2020
NHAI debars contractor, consultant
Photo courtesy: The Hans India
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has taken strict action against the defaulting firms on the unfortunate accident during launching of girders on February 16, 2020, at the new four-lane bridge over river Ganga at downstream of Farakka Barrage including approaches connecting the Farakka-Raiganj section of NH-34 in West Bengal, leading to two casualties.
One of the under construction spans had collapsed owing to toppling of the launching girders leading to collapse of the erected span. Post incident, NHAI appointed a bridge expert to investigate the causes. It was found that the accident happened due to lack of coordination between the contractor, design consultant and designer of launching girder in design and execution of the superstructure of the bridge. Further, the contractor and consultants responsible for design and launching girder system failed to present any convincing reasons during investigation for the causes leading to the unfortunate incident.
NHAI has accordingly taken action against the parties responsible for the accident as under:
1. Qingdao Construction Engineering Group Co, China, and RKEC Projects, India, have been debarred from participation in future projects jointly as well as severally for three years.
2. VAX Consultants and Nagesh Consultants are debarred from participation in future projects jointly as well as severally for three years.
3. NC Infracon Consultant (New Delhi) has been debarred from participation in future projects jointly as well as severally for three years.
Commenting on the matter, Dr Sukhbir Singh Sandhu, Chairman, NHAI, said “If any contractor or consultant deviates from the contractual obligations and compromises public safety, it becomes imperative for NHAI to take stringent action against such defaulters. It is warned that lapses shall not be tolerated and strict action shall be taken against defaulting firms and personnel.”
In another recent news, CW had reported that in its endeavour to maintain high quality standards in highway development, NHAI is taking all steps to ensure adherence to the standards during construction and maintenance of the projects.
- National Highways Authority of India
- launching of girders
- river Ganga
- West Bengal
- under construction
- bridge expert
- design consultant
- design and execution
- launching girder system
- Qingdao Construction Engineering Group Co
- RKEC Projects
- Nagesh Consultants
- VAX Consultants
- NC Infracon Consultant
- Dr Sukhbir Singh Sandhu