Mukkola-Karode bypass work likely to get delayed
ROADS & HIGHWAYS

Mukkola-Karode bypass work likely to get delayed

The standoff between the Geology and Mining Department and the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) for excavating soil from a quarry at Perumkadavila in the district, to fill the remaining portions of the Mukkola-Karode national highway (NH) 66 bypass stretch is likely to delay the commissioning of the road.

The NHAI had promised that the road would be commissioned in August earlier. The delay from the geology department may prompt Larsen & Toubro (L&T) to withdraw from the construction work as it did in the Kanyakumari district earlier. Only 1.2 km of the 16.3 km stretch is remaining for construction. This stretch will be the first concrete national highway in the state.

NHAI project director P Pradeep told the media that the works are nearing fulfilment. At this stage, the geology department has reviewed and asked to stop the excavation citing mining rules. Now, authority is in shortage of soil, which is concerning the pending works in the Punnakulam and Thirupuram areas.

He said that the contractor of the project L&T can go forward with the work only if the geology department consents. NHAI approached the geology department to clear the file, but the approval is not yet received. Again the work will be delayed as the monsoon season will start soon.

Earlier, the geology and mining department had issued a stop memo to the NHAI to stop work after 5 pm. This had slowed down the construction work on 1.2 km of the total 16.3 km stretch at Kottukal and Thirupuram. The NH 66 bypass construction work has also been halted midway due to the soil or red earth's unavailability.

A top official of the geology department told the media that the department could not give consent for excavation owing to rules.

The official said that permits were given earlier. We are going by the rules. Currently, two houses and a building is located around the quarry where the excavation is taking place. So the NHAI or the contractor must get a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Irrigation department. Otherwise, they need to excavate at different places after stopping excavation at the present place.

The original deadline for the first concrete road completion in the state was May 31 last year. The deadline was changed several times owing to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Image Source

Also read: Govt targets 18,000 km highway construction in FY23

The standoff between the Geology and Mining Department and the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) for excavating soil from a quarry at Perumkadavila in the district, to fill the remaining portions of the Mukkola-Karode national highway (NH) 66 bypass stretch is likely to delay the commissioning of the road. The NHAI had promised that the road would be commissioned in August earlier. The delay from the geology department may prompt Larsen & Toubro (L&T) to withdraw from the construction work as it did in the Kanyakumari district earlier. Only 1.2 km of the 16.3 km stretch is remaining for construction. This stretch will be the first concrete national highway in the state. NHAI project director P Pradeep told the media that the works are nearing fulfilment. At this stage, the geology department has reviewed and asked to stop the excavation citing mining rules. Now, authority is in shortage of soil, which is concerning the pending works in the Punnakulam and Thirupuram areas. He said that the contractor of the project L&T can go forward with the work only if the geology department consents. NHAI approached the geology department to clear the file, but the approval is not yet received. Again the work will be delayed as the monsoon season will start soon. Earlier, the geology and mining department had issued a stop memo to the NHAI to stop work after 5 pm. This had slowed down the construction work on 1.2 km of the total 16.3 km stretch at Kottukal and Thirupuram. The NH 66 bypass construction work has also been halted midway due to the soil or red earth's unavailability. A top official of the geology department told the media that the department could not give consent for excavation owing to rules. The official said that permits were given earlier. We are going by the rules. Currently, two houses and a building is located around the quarry where the excavation is taking place. So the NHAI or the contractor must get a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Irrigation department. Otherwise, they need to excavate at different places after stopping excavation at the present place. The original deadline for the first concrete road completion in the state was May 31 last year. The deadline was changed several times owing to the Covid-19 pandemic. Image Source Also read: Govt targets 18,000 km highway construction in FY23

Related Stories

Gold Stories

Next Story
Products

Koemmerling opens Navi Mumbai experience centre

Koemmerling, a brand of the profine Group, has expanded its presence in the Mumbai metropolitan region with the opening of a new experience centre in Navi Mumbai and launched its Allure S46 minimal sliding door system for the Indian market.Located in CBD Belapur, the facility was inaugurated by Peter Mrosik, Owner and CEO, profine Group, along with Farid Khan, Chairman and Managing Director, profine India, and Kamal Bajaj, CEO, profine India.The company said the new centre will showcase its portfolio of uPVC and aluminium window and door systems to architects, developers and homeowners.The ina..

Next Story
Products

India's waterproofing market nears Rs 150 bn milestone

India's waterproofing industry is approaching a market size of Rs 150 billion and is expected to surpass the $2 billion milestone, according to speakers at the 2nd India International Waterproofers Conference & Expo 2026 organised by the Waterproofers Association of India (WAI) in New Delhi.The two-day event brought together more than 20 speakers, 55 international delegates and 53 exhibition booths, with discussions focusing on climate-resilient construction, advanced waterproofing technologies and international collaboration.Inaugurating the event, Durga Shanker Mishra, former Secretary, ..

Next Story
Real Estate

Dilip Buildcon Q1 FY27 Revenue at Rs 23.78 billion

Dilip Buildcon Limited reported consolidated revenue from operations of Rs 2,378 crore in Q1 FY27, along with EBITDA of Rs 429 crore and profit after tax of Rs 128 crore.Consolidated EBITDA margin stood at 18.1%, improving from 17.1% in Q4 FY26. On a standalone basis, revenue from operations was Rs 1,930 crore, EBITDA stood at Rs 199 crore and PAT was Rs 39 crore, with an EBITDA margin of 10.3%.The company’s order book stood at Rs 27,691 crore as of 30 June 2026, compared with Rs 28,830 crore as of 31 March 2026. Roads and highways accounted for 17.1% of the order book, irrigation and water ..

Advertisement

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get daily newsletters around different themes from Construction world.

STAY CONNECTED

Advertisement