West Bengal to start Deocha-Panchami coal mine project on govt land
COAL & MINING

West Bengal to start Deocha-Panchami coal mine project on govt land

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee asked the top officials on Monday to start the first phase of the Deocha-Pachami coal mine project on vacant government land and said that her government would compensate adequately to those whose land can be acquired later.

Banerjee said at her administrative meeting that they are not taking anyone's private land and would process the first phase on the state government's land lying vacant. She said that if they need to take anyone's land, they don't have to worry as they will not evict anyone but provide them with a house, school and a job.

The coal block in Birbhum's Mohammad Bazar is spread across 11,222 acre with estimated coal reserves of 2.2 billion tonne. An official said that 550 acres of the land belong to the government.

Banerjee said that the project would benefit not only the local economy and provide jobs but also secure the supply of coal for the state for at least 100 years.

Former Chief Secretary, Rajiva Sinha, held a meeting with the tribal leaders in Deocha in July last year to take the project forward, seek their cooperation, and promised them proper compensation.

Banerjee emphasized how vital the coal block was to her scheme of things in her campaign during the recently concluded assembly polls.

The officials told the media that Banerjee spoke on the need to get the work started as she was aware they could roll out the first phase of the coal mine on 550 acres of government land available at the project site.

A primary survey has been started by the Power Development Corporation Ltd (PDCL) in a few areas of the proposed coal mine project to understand the demands of compensation of the local crowds.

Image Source


Also read: CIL notes 28% decline in coal allocation held via e-auction in April

Also read: Coal mine auctions: Commercial tranche 2 gains traction

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee asked the top officials on Monday to start the first phase of the Deocha-Pachami coal mine project on vacant government land and said that her government would compensate adequately to those whose land can be acquired later. Banerjee said at her administrative meeting that they are not taking anyone's private land and would process the first phase on the state government's land lying vacant. She said that if they need to take anyone's land, they don't have to worry as they will not evict anyone but provide them with a house, school and a job. The coal block in Birbhum's Mohammad Bazar is spread across 11,222 acre with estimated coal reserves of 2.2 billion tonne. An official said that 550 acres of the land belong to the government. Banerjee said that the project would benefit not only the local economy and provide jobs but also secure the supply of coal for the state for at least 100 years. Former Chief Secretary, Rajiva Sinha, held a meeting with the tribal leaders in Deocha in July last year to take the project forward, seek their cooperation, and promised them proper compensation. Banerjee emphasized how vital the coal block was to her scheme of things in her campaign during the recently concluded assembly polls. The officials told the media that Banerjee spoke on the need to get the work started as she was aware they could roll out the first phase of the coal mine on 550 acres of government land available at the project site. A primary survey has been started by the Power Development Corporation Ltd (PDCL) in a few areas of the proposed coal mine project to understand the demands of compensation of the local crowds. Image Source Also read: CIL notes 28% decline in coal allocation held via e-auction in April Also read: Coal mine auctions: Commercial tranche 2 gains traction

Related Stories

Gold Stories

Next Story
Products

Koemmerling opens Navi Mumbai experience centre

Koemmerling, a brand of the profine Group, has expanded its presence in the Mumbai metropolitan region with the opening of a new experience centre in Navi Mumbai and launched its Allure S46 minimal sliding door system for the Indian market.Located in CBD Belapur, the facility was inaugurated by Peter Mrosik, Owner and CEO, profine Group, along with Farid Khan, Chairman and Managing Director, profine India, and Kamal Bajaj, CEO, profine India.The company said the new centre will showcase its portfolio of uPVC and aluminium window and door systems to architects, developers and homeowners.The ina..

Next Story
Products

India's waterproofing market nears Rs 150 bn milestone

India's waterproofing industry is approaching a market size of Rs 150 billion and is expected to surpass the $2 billion milestone, according to speakers at the 2nd India International Waterproofers Conference & Expo 2026 organised by the Waterproofers Association of India (WAI) in New Delhi.The two-day event brought together more than 20 speakers, 55 international delegates and 53 exhibition booths, with discussions focusing on climate-resilient construction, advanced waterproofing technologies and international collaboration.Inaugurating the event, Durga Shanker Mishra, former Secretary, ..

Next Story
Real Estate

Dilip Buildcon Q1 FY27 Revenue at Rs 23.78 billion

Dilip Buildcon Limited reported consolidated revenue from operations of Rs 2,378 crore in Q1 FY27, along with EBITDA of Rs 429 crore and profit after tax of Rs 128 crore.Consolidated EBITDA margin stood at 18.1%, improving from 17.1% in Q4 FY26. On a standalone basis, revenue from operations was Rs 1,930 crore, EBITDA stood at Rs 199 crore and PAT was Rs 39 crore, with an EBITDA margin of 10.3%.The company’s order book stood at Rs 27,691 crore as of 30 June 2026, compared with Rs 28,830 crore as of 31 March 2026. Roads and highways accounted for 17.1% of the order book, irrigation and water ..

Advertisement

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get daily newsletters around different themes from Construction world.

STAY CONNECTED

Advertisement