Pune Division to Remove All Diamond Crossings by Year-End
RAILWAYS & METRO RAIL

Pune Division to Remove All Diamond Crossings by Year-End

The Pune railway division has announced plans to remove all 16 diamond crossings by the end of 2026 as part of a major yard remodelling project following the derailment of a Vande Bharat Express at Pune Junction on April 27. Railway authorities said the replacements aim to improve safety and streamline train operations across the busy station. The decision followed a Central Railway finding that the accident involved a non-standard diamond crossing and highlighted the need for replacement. Regular maintenance of existing crossings will continue until the replacement work is completed.

Officials indicated the work will be carried out in a single phase to reduce repeated traffic interruptions and that several major traffic and maintenance blocks will be required in the coming months. The blocks are expected to affect train movement temporarily while crews undertake track alterations and install standardised crossings. Passengers may therefore face temporary changes to schedules and operations during the project. Detailed timetables and affected services are to be announced by railway authorities in due course.

A diamond crossing is a track intersection where two lines cross to form a diamond shape, and non-standard crossings refer to those built without adherence to approved design standards and guidelines issued by the Railway Board. Railway engineers said replacing outdated and non-standard components would reduce operational risks and promote smoother movements across junctions. The remodelling is being positioned as a step towards strengthening the division's safety infrastructure and reducing the likelihood of similar incidents. Officials declined to specify which of the 16 crossings had been categorised as non-standard.

Work planning will include risk assessments, resource mobilisation and coordination with adjacent divisions to manage traffic during blocks, railway sources added. Completion of the single-phase replacement by the year-end remains the stated objective, subject to the execution of scheduled blocks and availability of materials and labour. The division reiterated that routine upkeep will continue alongside the remodelling until all new crossings are in place. Further announcements on schedules and service impacts are expected soon.

The Pune railway division has announced plans to remove all 16 diamond crossings by the end of 2026 as part of a major yard remodelling project following the derailment of a Vande Bharat Express at Pune Junction on April 27. Railway authorities said the replacements aim to improve safety and streamline train operations across the busy station. The decision followed a Central Railway finding that the accident involved a non-standard diamond crossing and highlighted the need for replacement. Regular maintenance of existing crossings will continue until the replacement work is completed. Officials indicated the work will be carried out in a single phase to reduce repeated traffic interruptions and that several major traffic and maintenance blocks will be required in the coming months. The blocks are expected to affect train movement temporarily while crews undertake track alterations and install standardised crossings. Passengers may therefore face temporary changes to schedules and operations during the project. Detailed timetables and affected services are to be announced by railway authorities in due course. A diamond crossing is a track intersection where two lines cross to form a diamond shape, and non-standard crossings refer to those built without adherence to approved design standards and guidelines issued by the Railway Board. Railway engineers said replacing outdated and non-standard components would reduce operational risks and promote smoother movements across junctions. The remodelling is being positioned as a step towards strengthening the division's safety infrastructure and reducing the likelihood of similar incidents. Officials declined to specify which of the 16 crossings had been categorised as non-standard. Work planning will include risk assessments, resource mobilisation and coordination with adjacent divisions to manage traffic during blocks, railway sources added. Completion of the single-phase replacement by the year-end remains the stated objective, subject to the execution of scheduled blocks and availability of materials and labour. The division reiterated that routine upkeep will continue alongside the remodelling until all new crossings are in place. Further announcements on schedules and service impacts are expected soon.

Related Stories

Gold Stories

Next Story
Products

Koemmerling opens Navi Mumbai experience centre

Koemmerling, a brand of the profine Group, has expanded its presence in the Mumbai metropolitan region with the opening of a new experience centre in Navi Mumbai and launched its Allure S46 minimal sliding door system for the Indian market.Located in CBD Belapur, the facility was inaugurated by Peter Mrosik, Owner and CEO, profine Group, along with Farid Khan, Chairman and Managing Director, profine India, and Kamal Bajaj, CEO, profine India.The company said the new centre will showcase its portfolio of uPVC and aluminium window and door systems to architects, developers and homeowners.The ina..

Next Story
Products

India's waterproofing market nears Rs 150 bn milestone

India's waterproofing industry is approaching a market size of Rs 150 billion and is expected to surpass the $2 billion milestone, according to speakers at the 2nd India International Waterproofers Conference & Expo 2026 organised by the Waterproofers Association of India (WAI) in New Delhi.The two-day event brought together more than 20 speakers, 55 international delegates and 53 exhibition booths, with discussions focusing on climate-resilient construction, advanced waterproofing technologies and international collaboration.Inaugurating the event, Durga Shanker Mishra, former Secretary, ..

Next Story
Real Estate

Dilip Buildcon Q1 FY27 Revenue at Rs 23.78 billion

Dilip Buildcon Limited reported consolidated revenue from operations of Rs 2,378 crore in Q1 FY27, along with EBITDA of Rs 429 crore and profit after tax of Rs 128 crore.Consolidated EBITDA margin stood at 18.1%, improving from 17.1% in Q4 FY26. On a standalone basis, revenue from operations was Rs 1,930 crore, EBITDA stood at Rs 199 crore and PAT was Rs 39 crore, with an EBITDA margin of 10.3%.The company’s order book stood at Rs 27,691 crore as of 30 June 2026, compared with Rs 28,830 crore as of 31 March 2026. Roads and highways accounted for 17.1% of the order book, irrigation and water ..

Advertisement

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get daily newsletters around different themes from Construction world.

STAY CONNECTED

Advertisement