ONGC net profit slumps 30% as govt strips away gains
OIL & GAS

ONGC net profit slumps 30% as govt strips away gains

State-owned explorer Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) reported a 30% fall in net profit for the September quarter after the government levied windfall tax to take away gains arising from a spurt in international oil and gas prices. Its net profit stood at Rs 128.26 billion, or Rs 10.20 a share, in July-September 2022-23 as compared with Rs 183.48 billion, or Rs 14.58 per share, in the same period a year back, the company said in a statement. Profit fell 15.6 per cent over the preceding June quarter when it had reported Rs 152.06 billion net profit. The company's gross billing for crude oil it produced soared 37.7 per cent to $95.49 per barrel in the quarter from $69.36 a barrel last year.

ONGC sells crude oil at international benchmark rates, which soared following Russian invasion of Ukraine. However, the government brought a new tax from July 1 to take away gains accruing from the global energy price surge.

The tax, which is moderated every 15 days in step with changes in global oil prices, was as high as $40 per barrel when it was introduced.

The company also realised a higher price for natural gas at $6.10 per million British thermal unit gas in July-September as compared to $1.79 a year back.

See also:
Shapoorji Pallonji, Bumi Armada build FPSO for ONGC
Reliance’s MJ gas condensate field to begin output this year


State-owned explorer Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) reported a 30% fall in net profit for the September quarter after the government levied windfall tax to take away gains arising from a spurt in international oil and gas prices. Its net profit stood at Rs 128.26 billion, or Rs 10.20 a share, in July-September 2022-23 as compared with Rs 183.48 billion, or Rs 14.58 per share, in the same period a year back, the company said in a statement. Profit fell 15.6 per cent over the preceding June quarter when it had reported Rs 152.06 billion net profit. The company's gross billing for crude oil it produced soared 37.7 per cent to $95.49 per barrel in the quarter from $69.36 a barrel last year. ONGC sells crude oil at international benchmark rates, which soared following Russian invasion of Ukraine. However, the government brought a new tax from July 1 to take away gains accruing from the global energy price surge. The tax, which is moderated every 15 days in step with changes in global oil prices, was as high as $40 per barrel when it was introduced. The company also realised a higher price for natural gas at $6.10 per million British thermal unit gas in July-September as compared to $1.79 a year back. See also: Shapoorji Pallonji, Bumi Armada build FPSO for ONGCReliance’s MJ gas condensate field to begin output this year

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

MMRDA Removes 1.14 lakh m of Metro Barricades

In a bid to ease congestion and improve urban mobility during monsoon, MMRDA has undertaken one of the largest coordinated barricade removal and monsoon preparedness drives across its ongoing metro and infrastructure projects.With substantial progress achieved in viaduct and structural works across multiple metro corridors, barricades from completed stretches beneath metro viaducts are being systematically removed, restoring maximum possible road space before the monsoon. Wider carriageways across key arterial roads are expected to improve traffic flow, reduce congestion, support better rainwa..

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

Pune Division to Remove All Diamond Crossings by Year-End

The Pune railway division has announced plans to remove all 16 diamond crossings by the end of 2026 as part of a major yard remodelling project following the derailment of a Vande Bharat Express at Pune Junction on April 27. Railway authorities said the replacements aim to improve safety and streamline train operations across the busy station. The decision followed a Central Railway finding that the accident involved a non-standard diamond crossing and highlighted the need for replacement. Regular maintenance of existing crossings will continue until the replacement work is completed. Official..

Next Story
Infrastructure Urban

Goa Declares 80 Million Square Metres No Development Zone

The Goa state government has declared 80 million square metres (mn) of land a no development zone, designating the area as protected from new construction. The notification reclassifies tracts across the state under a no development category for planning and regulatory purposes. The declaration signals a formal halt to new building permits within the defined zone. Authorities indicated that maps will be issued to show broad boundaries while detailed surveys will refine precise limits. The move transfers responsibility for enforcement to local planning authorities and relevant departments, whic..

Advertisement

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get daily newsletters around different themes from Construction world.

STAY CONNECTED

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement