Power plants no longer need to blend imported, local coal
POWER & RENEWABLE ENERGY

Power plants no longer need to blend imported, local coal

The union government has rolled back an emergency order that mandated power plants to import 10 per cent of their coal requirement and blend it with domestic supply. The withdrawal of the mandatory blending order indicates there are adequate stocks at power plants to meet the annual rise in coal demand post-monsoon, when electricity demand picks up. Data showed 31 million tonnes of coal stock, including 2.5 million tonnes of imported coal, at power stations, among the highest in August of any year. The coal blending order, issued on May 26 under Section 11 of the Electricity Act, mandated 10 per cent imported coal use and provided appropriate compensation to 32 GW of domestic coal-based power projects till March next year.

"The coal stock position in power plants has been reviewed periodically with the stakeholders, including Ministries of Coal and Railways. It has been decided to withdraw the aforesaid order dated 26th May 2022, with immediate effect," the order issued last week by the Power Ministry said.

"Imported coal purchased under the aforesaid directions, till the date of issuance of this letter, shall be utilized in accordance with the methodology given the subject order dated 26th May 2022," it added.

The power plants have placed large orders for imported coal. The National Thermal Power Corp (NTPC) and the Damodar Valley Corp (DVC) have placed close to 23 million tonnes of contracts for the fiscal, largely with Adani Enterprises. Coal India Ltd has ordered another 6 mt.

The coal ministry has also withdrawn another order issued on July 13 that said coal supplies of generation companies that did not adhere to the 10 per cent blending order would be reduced.

See also:
Government rolls back mandate on coal import order
Total coal production goes up by 11.37% to 60.42 MT in July


The union government has rolled back an emergency order that mandated power plants to import 10 per cent of their coal requirement and blend it with domestic supply. The withdrawal of the mandatory blending order indicates there are adequate stocks at power plants to meet the annual rise in coal demand post-monsoon, when electricity demand picks up. Data showed 31 million tonnes of coal stock, including 2.5 million tonnes of imported coal, at power stations, among the highest in August of any year. The coal blending order, issued on May 26 under Section 11 of the Electricity Act, mandated 10 per cent imported coal use and provided appropriate compensation to 32 GW of domestic coal-based power projects till March next year. The coal stock position in power plants has been reviewed periodically with the stakeholders, including Ministries of Coal and Railways. It has been decided to withdraw the aforesaid order dated 26th May 2022, with immediate effect, the order issued last week by the Power Ministry said. Imported coal purchased under the aforesaid directions, till the date of issuance of this letter, shall be utilized in accordance with the methodology given the subject order dated 26th May 2022, it added. The power plants have placed large orders for imported coal. The National Thermal Power Corp (NTPC) and the Damodar Valley Corp (DVC) have placed close to 23 million tonnes of contracts for the fiscal, largely with Adani Enterprises. Coal India Ltd has ordered another 6 mt. The coal ministry has also withdrawn another order issued on July 13 that said coal supplies of generation companies that did not adhere to the 10 per cent blending order would be reduced. See also: Government rolls back mandate on coal import orderTotal coal production goes up by 11.37% to 60.42 MT in July

Related Stories

Gold Stories

Next Story
Products

Koemmerling opens Navi Mumbai experience centre

Koemmerling, a brand of the profine Group, has expanded its presence in the Mumbai metropolitan region with the opening of a new experience centre in Navi Mumbai and launched its Allure S46 minimal sliding door system for the Indian market.Located in CBD Belapur, the facility was inaugurated by Peter Mrosik, Owner and CEO, profine Group, along with Farid Khan, Chairman and Managing Director, profine India, and Kamal Bajaj, CEO, profine India.The company said the new centre will showcase its portfolio of uPVC and aluminium window and door systems to architects, developers and homeowners.The ina..

Next Story
Products

India's waterproofing market nears Rs 150 bn milestone

India's waterproofing industry is approaching a market size of Rs 150 billion and is expected to surpass the $2 billion milestone, according to speakers at the 2nd India International Waterproofers Conference & Expo 2026 organised by the Waterproofers Association of India (WAI) in New Delhi.The two-day event brought together more than 20 speakers, 55 international delegates and 53 exhibition booths, with discussions focusing on climate-resilient construction, advanced waterproofing technologies and international collaboration.Inaugurating the event, Durga Shanker Mishra, former Secretary, ..

Next Story
Real Estate

Dilip Buildcon Q1 FY27 Revenue at Rs 23.78 billion

Dilip Buildcon Limited reported consolidated revenue from operations of Rs 2,378 crore in Q1 FY27, along with EBITDA of Rs 429 crore and profit after tax of Rs 128 crore.Consolidated EBITDA margin stood at 18.1%, improving from 17.1% in Q4 FY26. On a standalone basis, revenue from operations was Rs 1,930 crore, EBITDA stood at Rs 199 crore and PAT was Rs 39 crore, with an EBITDA margin of 10.3%.The company’s order book stood at Rs 27,691 crore as of 30 June 2026, compared with Rs 28,830 crore as of 31 March 2026. Roads and highways accounted for 17.1% of the order book, irrigation and water ..

Advertisement

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get daily newsletters around different themes from Construction world.

STAY CONNECTED

Advertisement