Maharashtra govt hikes Gunthewari Development charges 3x
Real Estate

Maharashtra govt hikes Gunthewari Development charges 3x

The state government has increased charges for the regularisation of illegal layouts and plots under the Maharashtra Gunthewari Developments (regularisation, upgradation and control) Act 2001 by three times.

Presently, owners of illegal layouts and plots will have to spend Rs 168 per sq ft as against the current Rs 56 per sq ft. On Monday, the state’s urban development department released the notification raising the charges.

Authorities of Nagpur Improvement Trust (NIT) told the media that development costs for regularisation of illegal layouts and plots have been at Rs 56 per sq ft since August 2014.

In the recent notification, the government told the media that charges for regularisation would be three times the current development charges. No costs are to be recovered from illegal plots if the charges have been recovered already during the regularisation of the whole layout.

The Gunthewari Act was introduced by the government in 2001. Development charges were set at Rs 16 per sq ft on May 18, 2001. The government selected NIT as the planning and implementation authority under the Gunthewari Act for the city. NIT has been recovering charges and using the fund on infrastructure advancement works in the regularised areas.

In August 2013, the government increased charges to Rs 112 per sq ft on the demand of NIT. After uproar from people and public representatives, the government withdrew the decision. In August 2014, the charges surged to Rs 56 per sq ft. Since then, the charges have remained constant.

NIT used to regularise illegal layouts and plots that had emerged on or before January 1, 2001. On March 12, the government had additionally approved the regularisation of illegal layouts and plots that emerged on or before January 1. NIT is yet to begin the process and is likely to start inviting applications from December.

Image Source

The state government has increased charges for the regularisation of illegal layouts and plots under the Maharashtra Gunthewari Developments (regularisation, upgradation and control) Act 2001 by three times. Presently, owners of illegal layouts and plots will have to spend Rs 168 per sq ft as against the current Rs 56 per sq ft. On Monday, the state’s urban development department released the notification raising the charges. Authorities of Nagpur Improvement Trust (NIT) told the media that development costs for regularisation of illegal layouts and plots have been at Rs 56 per sq ft since August 2014. In the recent notification, the government told the media that charges for regularisation would be three times the current development charges. No costs are to be recovered from illegal plots if the charges have been recovered already during the regularisation of the whole layout. The Gunthewari Act was introduced by the government in 2001. Development charges were set at Rs 16 per sq ft on May 18, 2001. The government selected NIT as the planning and implementation authority under the Gunthewari Act for the city. NIT has been recovering charges and using the fund on infrastructure advancement works in the regularised areas. In August 2013, the government increased charges to Rs 112 per sq ft on the demand of NIT. After uproar from people and public representatives, the government withdrew the decision. In August 2014, the charges surged to Rs 56 per sq ft. Since then, the charges have remained constant. NIT used to regularise illegal layouts and plots that had emerged on or before January 1, 2001. On March 12, the government had additionally approved the regularisation of illegal layouts and plots that emerged on or before January 1. NIT is yet to begin the process and is likely to start inviting applications from December. Image Source

Related Stories

Gold Stories

Next Story
Products

Koemmerling opens Navi Mumbai experience centre

Koemmerling, a brand of the profine Group, has expanded its presence in the Mumbai metropolitan region with the opening of a new experience centre in Navi Mumbai and launched its Allure S46 minimal sliding door system for the Indian market.Located in CBD Belapur, the facility was inaugurated by Peter Mrosik, Owner and CEO, profine Group, along with Farid Khan, Chairman and Managing Director, profine India, and Kamal Bajaj, CEO, profine India.The company said the new centre will showcase its portfolio of uPVC and aluminium window and door systems to architects, developers and homeowners.The ina..

Next Story
Products

India's waterproofing market nears Rs 150 bn milestone

India's waterproofing industry is approaching a market size of Rs 150 billion and is expected to surpass the $2 billion milestone, according to speakers at the 2nd India International Waterproofers Conference & Expo 2026 organised by the Waterproofers Association of India (WAI) in New Delhi.The two-day event brought together more than 20 speakers, 55 international delegates and 53 exhibition booths, with discussions focusing on climate-resilient construction, advanced waterproofing technologies and international collaboration.Inaugurating the event, Durga Shanker Mishra, former Secretary, ..

Next Story
Real Estate

Dilip Buildcon Q1 FY27 Revenue at Rs 23.78 billion

Dilip Buildcon Limited reported consolidated revenue from operations of Rs 2,378 crore in Q1 FY27, along with EBITDA of Rs 429 crore and profit after tax of Rs 128 crore.Consolidated EBITDA margin stood at 18.1%, improving from 17.1% in Q4 FY26. On a standalone basis, revenue from operations was Rs 1,930 crore, EBITDA stood at Rs 199 crore and PAT was Rs 39 crore, with an EBITDA margin of 10.3%.The company’s order book stood at Rs 27,691 crore as of 30 June 2026, compared with Rs 28,830 crore as of 31 March 2026. Roads and highways accounted for 17.1% of the order book, irrigation and water ..

Advertisement

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get daily newsletters around different themes from Construction world.

STAY CONNECTED

Advertisement