+
Puducherry govt mulls PPP mode to expand airport
AVIATION & AIRPORTS

Puducherry govt mulls PPP mode to expand airport

While the union territory government awaits the Centre's response on the provision of special funds for the expansion of Puducherry airport, PWD Minister Lakshminarayanan said in the Legislative Assembly on Tuesday that the union territory government is also considering the public-private-partnership, or PPP, mode of funding the project.

In response to questions from Leader of the Opposition R Siva (DMK), R B Ashok Babu (BJP), and K Venkatesan (BJP), Lakshminarayanan stated that Rs 425 crore is required to acquire 273 acres of land in Tamil Nadu and 20 acres in Puducherry, according to the Airports Authority of India's detailed project report (DPR).

The Puducherry government has asked the Centre to provide special financial assistance for the March 23, 2022 acquisition, as well as follow-ups in April, June, and July. Following that, a proposal was sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), which included the valuation report from the Villupuram district collector. The MHA has yet to respond, according to Lakshminarayanan.

At a high-level committee meeting organised by the MHA in collaboration with the governments of Puducherry and Tamil Nadu, the latter stated that the process of land acquisition will be initiated depending on whether the Centre or Puducherry provides compensation to land owners, Lakshminarayanan added. In response, Siva suggested that the Tamil Nadu chief minister be approached about land acquisition.

While waiting for a response from the MHA, the Puducherry government is also looking into the PPP funding model, according to Lakshminarayanan. A meeting with MHA and AAI officials had been planned for January, but it was cancelled. He added that efforts are now being made to schedule a new meeting. With the Puducherry government still paying compensation of Rs 30 crore for the 150 acres of land acquired during the project's early days, this could be the union territory's share of the PPP investment, along with Rs 8 crore spent on security and electricity. Lakshminarayanan went on to say that compensation would be based on the market value of the land in the respective areas.

Also Read
Railways Minister says the first bullet train to run by 2026
NLC establishes green energy joint venture with Assam Discom

While the union territory government awaits the Centre's response on the provision of special funds for the expansion of Puducherry airport, PWD Minister Lakshminarayanan said in the Legislative Assembly on Tuesday that the union territory government is also considering the public-private-partnership, or PPP, mode of funding the project. In response to questions from Leader of the Opposition R Siva (DMK), R B Ashok Babu (BJP), and K Venkatesan (BJP), Lakshminarayanan stated that Rs 425 crore is required to acquire 273 acres of land in Tamil Nadu and 20 acres in Puducherry, according to the Airports Authority of India's detailed project report (DPR). The Puducherry government has asked the Centre to provide special financial assistance for the March 23, 2022 acquisition, as well as follow-ups in April, June, and July. Following that, a proposal was sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), which included the valuation report from the Villupuram district collector. The MHA has yet to respond, according to Lakshminarayanan. At a high-level committee meeting organised by the MHA in collaboration with the governments of Puducherry and Tamil Nadu, the latter stated that the process of land acquisition will be initiated depending on whether the Centre or Puducherry provides compensation to land owners, Lakshminarayanan added. In response, Siva suggested that the Tamil Nadu chief minister be approached about land acquisition. While waiting for a response from the MHA, the Puducherry government is also looking into the PPP funding model, according to Lakshminarayanan. A meeting with MHA and AAI officials had been planned for January, but it was cancelled. He added that efforts are now being made to schedule a new meeting. With the Puducherry government still paying compensation of Rs 30 crore for the 150 acres of land acquired during the project's early days, this could be the union territory's share of the PPP investment, along with Rs 8 crore spent on security and electricity. Lakshminarayanan went on to say that compensation would be based on the market value of the land in the respective areas. Also Read Railways Minister says the first bullet train to run by 2026 NLC establishes green energy joint venture with Assam Discom

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

Lucknow Metro East-West Corridor Consultancy Contract Awarded

The Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation has awarded the first construction-related consultancy contract for the Lucknow Metro East West Corridor to a joint venture of AYESA Ingenieria Arquitectura SAU and AYESA India Pvt Ltd. The firm was declared the lowest bidder for the Detailed Design Consultant contract for Lucknow Metro Line-2 under Phase 1B and the contract was recommended following the financial bid. The contract is valued at Rs 159.0 million (mn), covering design services for the corridor. Lucknow Metro Line-2 envisages the construction of an 11.165 kilometre corridor connecting Cha..

Next Story
Infrastructure Urban

Div Com Kashmir Urges Fast Tracking Of Jhelum Water Transport Project

The Divisional Commissioner of Kashmir has called for the fast-tracking of the Jhelum water transport project, urging district administrations and relevant agencies to accelerate planning and clearances. In a meeting convened at the divisional headquarters, the commissioner instructed officials from irrigation, public health engineering and municipal departments to prioritise the project and coordinate survey and design work. The directive emphasised removal of administrative bottlenecks and close monitoring to ensure timely mobilisation of resources and contractors. Officials were told to in..

Next Story
Infrastructure Urban

Interarch Reports Strong Q3 And Nine Month Results

Interarch Building Solutions Limited reported unaudited results for the third quarter and nine months ended 31 December 2025, recording strong revenue growth driven by execution and a robust order book. Net revenue for the third quarter rose by 43.7 per cent to Rs 5.225 billion (bn), compared with Rs 3.636 bn a year earlier, reflecting heightened demand in pre-engineered building projects. The company’s total order book as at 31 January 2026 stood at Rs 16.85 bn, supporting near-term visibility. EBITDA excluding other income for the quarter increased by 43.2 per cent to Rs 503 million (mn),..

Advertisement

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get daily newsletters around different themes from Construction world.

STAY CONNECTED

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Open In App