South Western Railway commissions double-track project in Goa
AVIATION & AIRPORTS

South Western Railway commissions double-track project in Goa

The South Western Railway (SWR) inaugurated the doubling of the 15.2 km railway line in South Goa between Sanvordem-Chandorgoa-Margao on Sunday.

The SWR said in a statement on Sunday that non-interlocking work at Sanvordem, Chandorgoa, and Madgaon was completed as part of the doubling project.

Environmentalists are opposing three projects in Goa, including the doubling of the railway track.

Officials said that preparatory work began on September 25 and that the pre-non-interlocking work began on October 3.

The commissioning of this double line, according to SWR general manager Sanjeev Kishore, will improve train mobility in the section by eliminating the need for trains to wait for crossings.

The Supreme Court's Central Empowerment Committee (CEC) had rejected the key rail expansion project in April, citing serious environmental concerns. Despite red flags being raised at various levels, the Centre cleared these projects last year. However, the Supreme Court has yet to hear the case.

The reorganised Hubli division of South Central Railway and the Bangalore and Mysore divisions of Southern Railway were combined to form South Western Railway. It has been in operation since April 1, 2003, with its headquarters in Hubli, Karnataka. The railway is divided into three divisions: Hubli, Bangalore, and Mysore, and serves primarily the state of Karnataka, which accounts for 84% of its jurisdiction. Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, and Goa account for the remaining 16% of its route length.

In Karnataka and its districts, there has been a noticeable improvement in railway services.

Image Source


Also read: Mathura-Vrindavan metre gauge line to be converted into heritage line

The South Western Railway (SWR) inaugurated the doubling of the 15.2 km railway line in South Goa between Sanvordem-Chandorgoa-Margao on Sunday. The SWR said in a statement on Sunday that non-interlocking work at Sanvordem, Chandorgoa, and Madgaon was completed as part of the doubling project. Environmentalists are opposing three projects in Goa, including the doubling of the railway track. Officials said that preparatory work began on September 25 and that the pre-non-interlocking work began on October 3. The commissioning of this double line, according to SWR general manager Sanjeev Kishore, will improve train mobility in the section by eliminating the need for trains to wait for crossings. The Supreme Court's Central Empowerment Committee (CEC) had rejected the key rail expansion project in April, citing serious environmental concerns. Despite red flags being raised at various levels, the Centre cleared these projects last year. However, the Supreme Court has yet to hear the case. The reorganised Hubli division of South Central Railway and the Bangalore and Mysore divisions of Southern Railway were combined to form South Western Railway. It has been in operation since April 1, 2003, with its headquarters in Hubli, Karnataka. The railway is divided into three divisions: Hubli, Bangalore, and Mysore, and serves primarily the state of Karnataka, which accounts for 84% of its jurisdiction. Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, and Goa account for the remaining 16% of its route length. In Karnataka and its districts, there has been a noticeable improvement in railway services. Image SourceAlso read: Mathura-Vrindavan metre gauge line to be converted into heritage line

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

PM sets ground for Bengaluru Cantonment Railway Station redevelopment

On June 20, 2022, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the commencement of the Bengaluru Cantonment Railway station's redevelopment project. This significant station is undergoing a transformation into a world-class building, with an estimated cost of Rs 4.8 billion.

As part of the redevelopment process, preliminary work is currently underway. This includes the demolition of existing service buildings to construct a 24-meter diversion road. The purpose of this road is to create additional space in front of the station building and expand the circulating area, ..

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

Electric trains to be available soon for travel to Bengaluru Airport

Passengers will be able to travel to the halt station near Kempegowda International Airport using Memu trains soon.

The newly electrified Yelahanka-Devanahalli-Chikkaballapur section 45 km was inspected on Saturday by Abhai Kumar Rai, commissioner of railway safety (southern circle).

An South Western Railway (SWR) official told the media that the Commission of Railway Safety (CRS) inspection was completed, as well as a speed trial at the full sectional speed of 100 km per hour.

The route's electrification will primarily benefit airport passengers, as SWR will be able ..

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

RLDA floats tender for leasing 52,630 sq m land parcel at Hubbali

The Rail Land Development Authority (RLDA) has floated a tender for leasing out 52,630 sq m of land parcel at MTS Colony, Karwar Road in Hubbali, with an overall reserve price of Rs 83 crore.

The land parcel will be leased for 99 years for mixed-use development like residential and commercial use.The permissible Forest Survey of India (FSI) for the site for commercial is 3.0 and residential is 2.75.

Vice-Chairman of RLDA, Ved Prakash Dudeja, said that Hubbali is one of the major commercial hubs of Karnataka and the fastest growing city after Bangalore and Mangalore.The Hubba..

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

Noida Airport to be linked by expressway, rapid rail, and pod taxi

The construction of Noida International Airport, also known as Jewar airport, was in its final stages, and passenger services were expected to begin in October. The airport would be linked by six roads and a rapid rail-cum-metro, in addition to pod taxis.

Upon completion, the Noida airport was projected to be the largest in India and the third in the National Capital Region (NCR) after Delhi airport and Hindon airbase in Ghaziabad.

A 31-km greenfield expressway was being built to connect the airport to the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway at Ballabhgarh.

The National Highway Aut..

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

Nagpur Airport: Mihan Dream grounded, vantage point lost

Nagpur's unique and strategic central location was once lauded for placing it on the nation's aviation map. It was hailed for its efforts in creating a harmonized air traffic management system with continuous airspace over the city, alongside establishing a centralized cargo hub. However, Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport is currently mired in apathy and has seemingly vanished from the national radar across various parameters, barely meeting the standards expected of a tier-2 city airport.

The airport, bearing its international tag, serves merely two flights to two foreign de..

Hi There!

Now get regular updates from CW Magazine on WhatsApp!

Click on link below, message us with a simple hi, and SAVE our number

You will have subscribed to our Construction News on Whatsapp! Enjoy

+91 81086 03000

Join us Telegram