TDB & Remine India to Build E-Waste Plant
WATER & WASTE

TDB & Remine India to Build E-Waste Plant

The Technology Development Board (TDB) has forged a crucial partnership with startup Remine India to address the pressing issue of e-waste in India. The collaborative effort aims to establish a state-of-the-art commercial plant for recycling lithium-ion batteries and electronic waste (e-waste) in Uttarakhand. According to the Ministry of Science and Technology, this initiative receives substantial financial backing, with TDB allocating Rs 75 million towards the Rs 150 million project.

Highlighting the significance of this endeavor, TDB Secretary Rajesh Kumar Pathak emphasized India's position as the third-largest e-waste generator globally. He underscored the importance of transitioning informal recyclers into the formal sector, a move that aligns with the principles of a circular economy.

The proposed recycling plant will be situated at Eldeco in the SIIDCUL Industrial Area of Sitarganj, located in the Udham Singh Nagar district. Leveraging indigenous technology developed by the Centre for Materials for Electronics Technology (CMET), the facility aims for efficient and environmentally responsible recycling processes.

The Ministry of Science further emphasized the surge in e-waste stemming from the widespread adoption of lithium-ion batteries in electronics, electric vehicles, and renewable energy storage systems. Despite the considerable market potential for recycling lithium-ion batteries, a mere 5% undergo recycling, with the remaining 95% ending up in landfills, posing grave environmental concerns.

The ministry expressed apprehension regarding the predominance of the informal sector in e-waste management, citing its adverse environmental and economic repercussions. This collaborative effort between TDB and Remine India signals a proactive approach to addressing these challenges and fostering sustainable solutions in the realm of technology and environmental conservation.

The Technology Development Board (TDB) has forged a crucial partnership with startup Remine India to address the pressing issue of e-waste in India. The collaborative effort aims to establish a state-of-the-art commercial plant for recycling lithium-ion batteries and electronic waste (e-waste) in Uttarakhand. According to the Ministry of Science and Technology, this initiative receives substantial financial backing, with TDB allocating Rs 75 million towards the Rs 150 million project. Highlighting the significance of this endeavor, TDB Secretary Rajesh Kumar Pathak emphasized India's position as the third-largest e-waste generator globally. He underscored the importance of transitioning informal recyclers into the formal sector, a move that aligns with the principles of a circular economy. The proposed recycling plant will be situated at Eldeco in the SIIDCUL Industrial Area of Sitarganj, located in the Udham Singh Nagar district. Leveraging indigenous technology developed by the Centre for Materials for Electronics Technology (CMET), the facility aims for efficient and environmentally responsible recycling processes. The Ministry of Science further emphasized the surge in e-waste stemming from the widespread adoption of lithium-ion batteries in electronics, electric vehicles, and renewable energy storage systems. Despite the considerable market potential for recycling lithium-ion batteries, a mere 5% undergo recycling, with the remaining 95% ending up in landfills, posing grave environmental concerns. The ministry expressed apprehension regarding the predominance of the informal sector in e-waste management, citing its adverse environmental and economic repercussions. This collaborative effort between TDB and Remine India signals a proactive approach to addressing these challenges and fostering sustainable solutions in the realm of technology and environmental conservation.

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

Safety concerns arise over Mumbai's newly opened Coastal Road tunnel leaks

Two months after the opening of a section of Mumbai's Coastal Road tunnel to traffic on March 11, observations have been made of water leaks. It has been noted that water is seeping through the walls and ceiling, particularly at the southbound tunnel's end near Princess Street Flyover. Despite repairs made during testing, this issue continues. Leaks have been sighted on both sides of the walls in the southbound tunnel, with the slab above also appearing wet. The ongoing water leakage has resulted in the paint on the walls peeling off. The BMC is under scrutiny as it prepares to open another ..

Next Story
Infrastructure Urban

CM: 95% Smart City Project nears completion

Pramod Sawant, Chief Minister, Goa, stated that the Smart City work in Panaji is nearing completion, with approximately 95% of the tasks done. He mentioned that the deadline for finishing the work was May 31. Sawant further informed that Smart City MD and CEO Sanjit Rodrigues would be conducting an inspection within two days to assess the progress and ensure its completion. He added that the inspection would involve the participation of the mayor of the Corporation of the City of Panaji, Rohit Monserrate. Earlier in the year, there had been a visit by high court judges to Panaji aimed at und..

Next Story
Infrastructure Urban

10,200 saplings to be planted in Kovai, Coimbatore

The Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation (CCMC) announced the commencement of tree-planting operations across the five zones of the city. It was stated by the civic body that 265 locations, encompassing public parks and Open Space Reservation (OSR) lands, had been identified for this initiative. As part of the Green Tamil Nadu Mission project, CCMC Commissioner M Sivaguru Prabhakaran inaugurated the campaign on Monday near the Kurichi Housing Unit in the South Zone. It was disclosed that a total of 10,200 tree saplings are slated for planting. Various endeavors are underway to safeguard the..

Hi There!

Now get regular updates from CW Magazine on WhatsApp!

Click on link below, message us with a simple hi, and SAVE our number

You will have subscribed to our Construction News on Whatsapp! Enjoy

+91 81086 03000

Join us Telegram