+
Cement offtake dropped 25% in April-June: ICRA
Cement

Cement offtake dropped 25% in April-June: ICRA

The second wave of Covid 19 adversely affected the domestic cement sale in the April-June quarter, decreasing 25% on a quarter on the quarter (QoQ) basis but pent-up demand is anticipated to drive the volumes commencing the July-September quarter, as per an ICRA report.

On Monday, rating agency ICRA told the media that in April 2021, when the second wave was on the rise, the domestic production had dropped 35% month on month in April 2021 and was 4% lower in comparison to the pre-pandemic April 2019.

This time the rural areas have also been affected in the second wave, unlike last year when it was limited to mainly the urban areas.The recovery in the rural areas is anticipated to be gradual, said ICRA.

But, it also added that the overall pent-up demand is expected to push the offtake once lockdowns are relaxed.

According to Anupama Reddy, ICRA AVP and Sector Head, the cement firms have initiated price hikes by an average of 5% year over year in April 2021.

This hike is driven by the rise in the input expenses, primarily fuel and power costs and freight costs over the past few months.

Additionally, she said that while the cement prices are expected to considerably sustain in the near term, the higher input costs, because of the rising crude oil costs and under absorption of overheads are likely to lead to a moderation of EBITDA per mt to about Rs 1,200 per mt in Q1 FY22, lower by 20% year over year and 6 to 7 % quarter over quarter.

In FY21, which ended on March 31, sales have already been adversely affected leading to the sharpest de-growth over the last ten years. Domestic cement production dropped by 12% to 294 million mt.

A striking impact on production was observed in Q1 FY21 with a production decrease of 38.3 % year over year owing to the adverse effect of the lockdown imposed in the country with the construction workers coming to a pause, mainly in April 2020, it said.

While in the January-March quarter of FY21 cement firms observed a boost in sales volumes by 23% year over year to 73 mt.

Image Source


Also read: Cement prices in May stay firm despite Covid-19 disruptions

Also read: Cement demand may surpass 340 mt in FY22: ICRA

The second wave of Covid 19 adversely affected the domestic cement sale in the April-June quarter, decreasing 25% on a quarter on the quarter (QoQ) basis but pent-up demand is anticipated to drive the volumes commencing the July-September quarter, as per an ICRA report. On Monday, rating agency ICRA told the media that in April 2021, when the second wave was on the rise, the domestic production had dropped 35% month on month in April 2021 and was 4% lower in comparison to the pre-pandemic April 2019. This time the rural areas have also been affected in the second wave, unlike last year when it was limited to mainly the urban areas.The recovery in the rural areas is anticipated to be gradual, said ICRA. But, it also added that the overall pent-up demand is expected to push the offtake once lockdowns are relaxed. According to Anupama Reddy, ICRA AVP and Sector Head, the cement firms have initiated price hikes by an average of 5% year over year in April 2021. This hike is driven by the rise in the input expenses, primarily fuel and power costs and freight costs over the past few months. Additionally, she said that while the cement prices are expected to considerably sustain in the near term, the higher input costs, because of the rising crude oil costs and under absorption of overheads are likely to lead to a moderation of EBITDA per mt to about Rs 1,200 per mt in Q1 FY22, lower by 20% year over year and 6 to 7 % quarter over quarter. In FY21, which ended on March 31, sales have already been adversely affected leading to the sharpest de-growth over the last ten years. Domestic cement production dropped by 12% to 294 million mt. A striking impact on production was observed in Q1 FY21 with a production decrease of 38.3 % year over year owing to the adverse effect of the lockdown imposed in the country with the construction workers coming to a pause, mainly in April 2020, it said. While in the January-March quarter of FY21 cement firms observed a boost in sales volumes by 23% year over year to 73 mt. Image Source Also read: Cement prices in May stay firm despite Covid-19 disruptions Also read: Cement demand may surpass 340 mt in FY22: ICRA

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

MMRDA Installs 325-Tonne Steel Spans on Mumbai Metro Line 4

The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) has achieved a key construction milestone on Metro Line 4 with the successful installation of three large steel spans at Bhandup West during overnight operations.The spans, together weighing 325 metric tonnes, were launched using eight heavy-duty cranes and 12 multi-axle vehicles. The operation required precise engineering and meticulous planning to minimise disruption in the densely populated suburban area.Due to effective inter-agency coordination, the work—originally scheduled across four nights—was completed within just two n..

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

CMRL Targets March 2027 Opening for Vadapalani–Panagal Park

Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) is progressing as scheduled to open the Vadapalani–Panagal Park section of Phase II’s Corridor 4 by March 2027. The 3.5 km underground stretch is part of the 26.1 km Corridor 4 connecting Lighthouse with Poonamallee Bypass.Construction activities are advancing steadily, with tunnelling works between Vadapalani and Panagal Park already completed. Track-laying operations are expected to commence shortly. At Panagal Park station, structural works have reached the concourse and platform levels, while excavation continues at the lowest level.CMRL is also consid..

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

Maha-Metro Invites Pune Metro Civil Maintenance Bids

Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (Maha-Metro) has invited bids for the annual civil maintenance contract of the Pune Metro Rail Project. The tender, bearing ID and number P1-O&M-20/2025, is scheduled to close on 23 February 2026, with a pre-bid meeting slated for 10 February 2026. The earnest money deposit (EMD) for the contract is Rs 3,50,500, and the duration of the contract is one year.The scope of work includes annual civil maintenance of 28 elevated and underground stations, 28.079 km of elevated viaduct including steel bridges, 12.15 km of tunnels, and two depots under the ..

Advertisement

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get daily newsletters around different themes from Construction world.

STAY CONNECTED

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Open In App