Bhopal railway division leads the way in energy saving
RAILWAYS & METRO RAIL

Bhopal railway division leads the way in energy saving

All lights at Rani Kamalapati railway station in Bhopal switch on whenever a train reaches its platform. But once the train leaves, 70 per cent of the lights automatically turn off.

This "30-70 per cent circuit automation" system is among the energy conservation initiatives taken by the Bhopal division of West Central Railway (WCR) to save power and cut cost. Besides, a solar energy plant at WCR's Bina station in the state is the first of its kind in the Railways to provide electricity directly to the overhead equipment (OHE), he claimed.

The Bina station's solar plant was awarded the Best Use of Zero Carbon Technology in Planet Category at the International Sustainable Railway Awards held in Berlin, Germany, in June this year.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi had in November last year dedicated to the nation the revamped Rani Kamalapati Railway Station (RKMP), earlier known as Habibganj, in in the Madhya Pradesh capital.

This station, named after the queen of Bhopal's Gond kingdom, has the first central concourse with connectivity to all platforms and other modern facilities.

"Besides RKMP, 12 other stations of the division are also equipped with the 30-70 per cent circuit automation system, under which only 30 per cent of the lights will remain on when no train stops on a platform. Once a train crosses the home signal, the remaining 70 per cent of the lights will switch on," Divisional Railway Manager (DRM) Sourabh Bandopadhyaya said.

When the train crosses the 'starter signal', 70 per cent of the lights on that particular platform automatically switch off, which will result in a saving of Rs 13 lakh per annum on power bills, he said.

See also:
Revdevelopment of Chennai Egmore railway station to begin shortly
CCEA okays revamp of Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad stations


All lights at Rani Kamalapati railway station in Bhopal switch on whenever a train reaches its platform. But once the train leaves, 70 per cent of the lights automatically turn off. This 30-70 per cent circuit automation system is among the energy conservation initiatives taken by the Bhopal division of West Central Railway (WCR) to save power and cut cost. Besides, a solar energy plant at WCR's Bina station in the state is the first of its kind in the Railways to provide electricity directly to the overhead equipment (OHE), he claimed. The Bina station's solar plant was awarded the Best Use of Zero Carbon Technology in Planet Category at the International Sustainable Railway Awards held in Berlin, Germany, in June this year. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had in November last year dedicated to the nation the revamped Rani Kamalapati Railway Station (RKMP), earlier known as Habibganj, in in the Madhya Pradesh capital. This station, named after the queen of Bhopal's Gond kingdom, has the first central concourse with connectivity to all platforms and other modern facilities. Besides RKMP, 12 other stations of the division are also equipped with the 30-70 per cent circuit automation system, under which only 30 per cent of the lights will remain on when no train stops on a platform. Once a train crosses the home signal, the remaining 70 per cent of the lights will switch on, Divisional Railway Manager (DRM) Sourabh Bandopadhyaya said. When the train crosses the 'starter signal', 70 per cent of the lights on that particular platform automatically switch off, which will result in a saving of Rs 13 lakh per annum on power bills, he said. See also: Revdevelopment of Chennai Egmore railway station to begin shortlyCCEA okays revamp of Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad stations

Related Stories

Gold Stories

Hi There!

Now get regular updates from CW Magazine on WhatsApp!

Click on link below, message us with a simple hi, and SAVE our number

You will have subscribed to our Construction News on Whatsapp! Enjoy

+91 86574 75330

Join us Telegram

Reach out to us

Call us at +91 8108603000 or

Schedule a Call Back