BMC completes 37 per cent of pre-monsoon desilting work
WATER & WASTE

BMC completes 37 per cent of pre-monsoon desilting work

By the end of April, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) had completed 37% of its annual pre-monsoon desilting works.

The civic body removes silt from all major and minor drains, rivers, and water bodies in Mumbai every year as a precautionary measure to reduce water-logging in the city during heavy rain. The civic body spent Rs 180 crore last year to clean the drains, and this year it plans to spend nearly Rs 226 crore.

According to civic data, 46% of the drains in island city have been desilted so far, followed by 56% in the eastern suburbs and 44% in the western suburbs. Along with this, 26% of the Mithi River has been desilted, as have 19% of the expressway's periphery drains and 33% of municipal ward small drains. According to the civic data, 3.54 lakh metric tonnes of silt have been removed so far. It is worth noting that the BMC issued tenders for pre-monsoon desilting works in December of last year. This came after the BMC was chastised for starting drainage cleaning work late last year due to a delay in issuing work orders following the dissolution of the electoral committee in March last year.

The BMC rule states that 75% of the desilting work must be completed prior to the monsoon, with the remaining 25% desilted after the rains. "However, the problem of solid waste material will persist. "Even after desilting the drains, most of the city's drains and rivers are covered with solid waste, which may obstruct free flow of water during rains, leading to clogging of the outfall and flooding in some low-lying areas," the official added.

Annually, 254 km of major drains, 443 km of minor drains, and 21 km of Mithi river are desilted. In addition to this, the BMC will also desilt the drains that are in the periphery of the Western and Eastern Express Highways, since the civic body has taken up the responsibility of these two arterial roads last year.

Also Read
LeeBoy unveils commercial-class electric asphalt paver
In just 77 days, Agra Metro Rail Project reached major milestone

By the end of April, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) had completed 37% of its annual pre-monsoon desilting works. The civic body removes silt from all major and minor drains, rivers, and water bodies in Mumbai every year as a precautionary measure to reduce water-logging in the city during heavy rain. The civic body spent Rs 180 crore last year to clean the drains, and this year it plans to spend nearly Rs 226 crore. According to civic data, 46% of the drains in island city have been desilted so far, followed by 56% in the eastern suburbs and 44% in the western suburbs. Along with this, 26% of the Mithi River has been desilted, as have 19% of the expressway's periphery drains and 33% of municipal ward small drains. According to the civic data, 3.54 lakh metric tonnes of silt have been removed so far. It is worth noting that the BMC issued tenders for pre-monsoon desilting works in December of last year. This came after the BMC was chastised for starting drainage cleaning work late last year due to a delay in issuing work orders following the dissolution of the electoral committee in March last year. The BMC rule states that 75% of the desilting work must be completed prior to the monsoon, with the remaining 25% desilted after the rains. However, the problem of solid waste material will persist. Even after desilting the drains, most of the city's drains and rivers are covered with solid waste, which may obstruct free flow of water during rains, leading to clogging of the outfall and flooding in some low-lying areas, the official added. Annually, 254 km of major drains, 443 km of minor drains, and 21 km of Mithi river are desilted. In addition to this, the BMC will also desilt the drains that are in the periphery of the Western and Eastern Express Highways, since the civic body has taken up the responsibility of these two arterial roads last year. Also Read LeeBoy unveils commercial-class electric asphalt paver In just 77 days, Agra Metro Rail Project reached major milestone

Next Story
Infrastructure Urban

CNH India marks production milestone: 700,000 tractors in Greater Noida

CNH " a global leader in agriculture with its New Holland and Case IH brands " marks the production milestone of 700,000 tractors at its manufacturing site in Greater Noida. The plant produces approximately 2,000 tractor variants, ranging from 35 to 120 horsepower across the two brands. Gerrit Marx, the new CEO of CNH attended the milestone ceremony during his recent visit to India  affirming the Company's commitment to this market and its continued growth. Since commencing production in 1999, the site has expanded its capacity to produce 60,000 tractors annually. Currently, the Greater ..

Next Story
Infrastructure Urban

Ecom Express strengthens leadership team

Ecom Express, a technology-driven end-to-end logistics solutions provider, announces the appointment of two senior executives to bolster its leadership team. Jitendar Kumar joins the Ecom Express team as the Chief Business Officer, while Abhinav Imandi takes on the role of Senior Vice President - Operations, Process Excellence and Alternate Channels. Speaking on the appointment of the new Chief Business Officer, Ajay Chitkara, CEO & MD, Ecom Express, said, "Jitendar's extensive experience in driving business growth and his strategic thinking will be instrumental in achieving our growth object..

Next Story
Infrastructure Transport

Railway Board Approves Elevated Track on Anwarganj-Mandhana Route

The Railway Board has given the green light for the construction of an elevated track on the Anwarganj-Mandhana rail route, part of the North Eastern Railway (NER). This project is set to ease the daily commute for approximately 40 lakh people who currently navigate 17 railway crossings between these two stations. The announcement was confirmed in a letter from the Railway Board to the General Manager of NER. The construction, estimated to cost Rs 9.94 billion, will feature an elevated ramp starting at the Jareeb Chowki crossing and descending at Mandhana, covering a span of 15 km. Chief Publi..

Hi There!

"Now get regular updates from CW Magazine on WhatsApp!

Join the CW WhatsApp channel for the latest news, industry events, expert insights, and project updates from the construction and infrastructure industry.

Click the link below to join"

+91 81086 03000