BMC floats Rs 1,000 cr tender for strengthening roads in round 2
ROADS & HIGHWAYS

BMC floats Rs 1,000 cr tender for strengthening roads in round 2

On Monday, the BMC floated tenders of around Rs 1,000 crore, inviting bidders for the development and advancement of several roads in cement concrete, mastic asphalt in the city and suburbs.

It includes approximately Rs 700 crore of road works in civic jurisdiction, along with Rs 300 crore work in MHADA layout roads.

It is not to be mixed, with the re-tender of Rs 1,200 crore of road works just a few days back. In this batch too, some of the bids have been refloated, after the BMC dismissed the same in September over quality matters since road contractors had priced up to 30% below estimates. Some are fresh bids, like the MHADA layout roads.

Corporators have asked whether cancelling and then inviting bids will lead to better road quality or end up a waste of time. This time, authorities said that severe conditions have been laid down, like contractors who take part in the bids must have prior road work experience and not just any civil work experience. There will also be partial payment, with only 80% payment, issued when the work gets concluded. The remaining 20% payment will be issued during the defect liability time in instalments.

The deadline to fill the tenders is November 3.

Corporators fret that works are likely to be delayed at the outset, with bids invited so late. From October onwards, BMC commences road repair works on the ground, which continues till the arrival of the monsoon in the next year.

Image Source


Also read: BMC to re-tender Rs 1,200 cr road maintenance and repair project

On Monday, the BMC floated tenders of around Rs 1,000 crore, inviting bidders for the development and advancement of several roads in cement concrete, mastic asphalt in the city and suburbs. It includes approximately Rs 700 crore of road works in civic jurisdiction, along with Rs 300 crore work in MHADA layout roads. It is not to be mixed, with the re-tender of Rs 1,200 crore of road works just a few days back. In this batch too, some of the bids have been refloated, after the BMC dismissed the same in September over quality matters since road contractors had priced up to 30% below estimates. Some are fresh bids, like the MHADA layout roads. Corporators have asked whether cancelling and then inviting bids will lead to better road quality or end up a waste of time. This time, authorities said that severe conditions have been laid down, like contractors who take part in the bids must have prior road work experience and not just any civil work experience. There will also be partial payment, with only 80% payment, issued when the work gets concluded. The remaining 20% payment will be issued during the defect liability time in instalments. The deadline to fill the tenders is November 3. Corporators fret that works are likely to be delayed at the outset, with bids invited so late. From October onwards, BMC commences road repair works on the ground, which continues till the arrival of the monsoon in the next year. Image SourceAlso read: BMC to re-tender Rs 1,200 cr road maintenance and repair project

Related Stories

Hi There!

Now get regular updates from CW Magazine on WhatsApp!

Click on link below, message us with a simple hi, and SAVE our number

You will have subscribed to our Construction News on Whatsapp! Enjoy

+91 86574 75330

Reach out to us

Call us at +91 8108603000 or

Schedule a Call Back